This is a world set in the year 12017 HE (2017, I'm using the Holocene calendar), where all the land is water and all the water is land.
This specific region is one of the more prosperous ones. They are isolated, shut in by two great deserts, but just over 30 million people live in this region, which is a third of Earth's population. Because of a lack of water, these civilisations are stuck with technology from the OTL 1600s. However, because of their strategic location between two large oceans, they have prospered more than other regions.
Central America and the Mediterranean have never met. They only have myths of each other, due to the massive desert blocking their way. However, in the future it will be possible to cross the desert to Africa to reach the Mediterranean. But they do not have incentives to do so.
In the history of this region, there were five main powers. Thanarada, Samerico, Shahaarha, Hellan, and Huanyoi.
- Thanarada once took over the entire gulf region, but now they are slowly falling apart, after a number of coalition wars and civil wars.
- Samerico still holds a considerable amount of power in their region, but newly formed powers such as the Seshiyan have contested them time and time again. Now, they are a fragment of what they once were.
- Shahaarha is the strongest of the five, even after the break-up of their empire. Balthrisia caused their downfall, but the Shahaarhan Empire still stands strong, as they continue to dominate as the food producers in the region.
- Hellan fractured due to the rise of Katkaris. Katkaris had control over expert generals and an abundance of food, and with their advantages they managed to topple the Hellanican Empire. They now are one of the biggest nations in the world, encompassing massive areas of farmland. They have essentially replaced Hellan.
- Huanyoi was once an important trading partner with the Shahaarhans. They soon forged a massive trade empire. Their fault, however, was when they attempted to forge solid trade routes with the West African region. Their King poured so much gold into these routes that when a drought hit upon the route between the two regions, Huanyoi collapsed into many smaller states. Like Samerico, they still hold power, but are a shell of what they once were.
In 12017, the main powers are now Katkaris, the Slowwannan Empire, the Shahaarhan Empire, and Balthrisia.